Saturday, April 16, 2011

Episode 15: Into you like a train.

I've had quite a week-Lawrence Dai gave me a shout out this week on the Lawrence/Julie & Julia Project! It's been so gratifying to get the increased traffic and new reader comments. Of course, my first action should have been to immediately post about the next episode in a blatant act of pandering to my new fans, but this week has been horrible in other ways. I'm back on service, and it's busy. On Friday, I made an intern cry. Honestly, before 2011, I had never in my career made a trainee cry, but now I've somehow managed it twice in a month. Worst of all, I have this stomach bug that's just dragging on and on. It's all about crampy abdominal pain. And worse.


Today, I finally hit a wall. I was holding the transfer pager and had been repeatedly paged by outside hospitals. If you've never seen the video for outside hospital, watch it. It is not made by anyone I know and it's not about the place that I work, but regardless, it represents what doctors think of the way everybody else manages (but not the way we manage at our hospital) patients. And so taking transfers means that I'm asking again and again, "Why did you do that? And why does this patient need to be transferred here?") As I was sitting there, arguing with doctors in other places, and then, in turn, arguing with our doctors about accepting these patients, I was periodically gripped with stomach cramps and sweats. I became more and more short-tempered as the pain waxed and waned, and at some point really lost it. I hung up on at least one person. Worst of all, the transfer line is recorded and monitored because our hospital is trying to improve customer service. Not my finest moment, and it was caught on tape.


Still, as Meredith says at the beginning of this episode, "Sorry, gotta go tend to someone else's train wreck." So I went and finished seeing all my patients and came home to watch an episode of Grey's and suffer through my stomach cramps in peace. Finally.


Meredith's line sets up the theme of the episode. The post-call interns live in a pre-work hours world, and are therefore all called back into work an overnight shift because a huge train wreck (Grey's: It's so early on in your life span to use the train wreck scenario. ER didn't have a train wreck until season 7!) has brought hundreds of wounded and dying people to Seattle Grace. In one story line, two people, a man and a woman who did not previously know each other, are impaled by the same pole and therefore spend the entire episode simultaneously impaled and embracing each other. Because the pole goes directly though the woman’s spine and aorta, McDreamy and Burke decide that her chance of surviving is minimal once the bar is removed. The man's chance is not great, either, but McDreamy and Burke believe that by slowly removing the bar and repairing as they go, they might be able to save his life.
My issue with the scenario is this: Why can’t they move one person just slightly and cut the bar directly in between them, leaving each person with their piece of the pole (very King Solomon of me, I know)? Instead, they decide to move the woman off of the pole, effectively killing her. The man resists allowing this to happen, but she comforts him, saying, “It’s not fair either way.” In the end, McDreamy has to break the news of  the woman's death to her boyfriend, and he tells him, "She wanted you to know that if love were enough, she would still be here with you." This is a secret message to Meredith, and, possibly, to single lesbians everywhere.

In another story line, two pregnant women who have been best friends since 3rd grade (but are not a couple) used the same sperm donor to become pregnant simultaneously, with a plan to raise the children as siblings. They then happened to be unfortunate enough to end up in this train wreck late in their pregnancies, and one of them is severely burned. In the rush to sign wills to make sure that the other friend can raise the children if one of them dies, their relationship is revealed to Izzy and Addison:

“We’re not lovers. We’re best friends. We just wanted our kids to have two parents.”


     So there's hope that my plan is more beautiful than pathetic. Note: I do not resemble, in the slightest, either one of these people.

The remarkably crazy thing about this is that since the breakup I’ve been trying to decide what to do next with my life, and one of the things I’ve thought seriously about is becoming a single parent. I have two parents who are aging rapidly, one sister, and no extended family. Sometimes I wonder if it’s fair to bring a child into this small family. If something were to happen to me, that child would be practically alone. So, a few weeks ago I called my best friend, who is a single mother who became pregnant via sperm donor, and I asked her if I could use her same donor so our children would be half siblings. We are not dating and we have never dated, but there would be something comforting about knowing that my child has a half sibling and a permanent connection to a friend I love very much. There are complications with this, of course, and maybe it’s crazy, but now that Grey's Anatomy gave this plan the nod, I'm thinking I might be onto something.

In McDreamy news, he's going back to Addison, which we knew had to happen at some point for reasons I've discussed elsewhere. Meredith, of course, takes this very personally and shows her frustration by going batsh*t for saving the impaled woman long after everyone else has given up, screaming, “What about her? We can’t just abandon her!”

Best lines:


“For what it’s worth, I take issue with her salmon-colored scrubs. I mean, what self-respecting surgeon wears salmon-colored scrubs?”

So true. Nurses wear colored scrubs, surgeons wear blue scrubs or hospital-issued-colored scrubs, but certainly not salmon-colored scrubs. For very interesting commentary on scrub colors, watch Nurse Jackie.
 
Yang: “Please tell me you’ve seen a cleanly severed right leg!”
Grey: “How weird is this job?”

Yes. (My weirdest moment this week was when I walked into the room of a man who was clearly touching his junk. I introduced myself and he took his hand out from under the sheets and extended it to shake my hand. I politely deferred but was internally freaking out. Well, I was freaking out and also thinking, "Some people are really right hand dominant.")

Bailey: “Why do I feel like we’re about to kill this girl?”

Well, it was funny at the time.

Yang: "I cannot go back home. It is too sunny in Los Angeles. It is sunny EVERY DAY."

Uh. So true. Except when I'm on vacation there.

"Rounds in 5 minutes."

When rounds are starting and the final 12 hours of your shift are beginning, the feeling is very good, but also exhausting, because you know you're going to spend the next 3 hours walking around and seeing the same patients you've been walking around and seeing the previous 24 hours.


“Time of death 2:51”

OK, last two notes. First, about this quote, I guess time of death is proclaimed because someone is keeping a code sheet and is writing it down, but announcing time of death after a code is not something they teach you in medical school or residency. In fact, I suspect the announcement of time of death is an instance of life imitating art. When I became a code leader, I always announced time of death because it was what I had seen on TV.

Second, I had this thought tonight: When Lawrence Dai goes out on a date (people don't date in college anymore, so maybe this isn't all that relevant), there's got to be this awkward moment during the evening when he has to tell his date, "Uh, I have to go watch Julie & Julia now." Poor guy.

19 comments:

  1. hysterical. as usual. strong work making the interns cry. I just tell them how everyone on our service will be dead in a year and that serves the same purpose without the guilt.

    so much to say about the non-lesbian 2 mom scenario. come on ABC do you really have to try so hard to pander to the left and the right, grow a pair, show real lesbians.

    was that my sperm-pop you wanted? let's do it. god knows I can't have another despite the constant lobbying. seriously, you can have it- and now you have witnesses what with all your new fans who make "the nicest comments...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think real lesbians are coming soon, within a season or two. I think ABC is a gay-friendly network, actually-Modern Family? And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lesbians ARE coming to G.A. and their plot lines and relationships are as dynamic as the het's...

    And when I say "Dynamic" I mean, "Bat-shit crazy; barely plausible; and as compellingly entertaining" (in a multi-car-crash-you can't look away from type of way).

    Also, I'm grateful for the funny post, but I feel the need to mention how you have grossly downplayed the degree to which the week you just lived through was completely fucked up. (In my humble opinion). I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tracy. You're a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you had a possible solution to the pole problem. I mean, not that I thought the show did exhaustive searches for medical options. They are more exhaustive with their sex pairings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm no trauma surgeon, but most of medicine is only half medical knowledge. It's half common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I like your blog so much (I'm one of the drifters from Lawrence's blog). Back in high school, I got bored one summer and watched every episode of Grey's and was convinced I would be this really successful surgeon. A few months later I remembered how ridiculously squeamish I am and clumsy and what a terrible surgeon I would be. So reading your blog is like reading about the life I'm not leading! I mean not really--it's just very enjoyable. I hope you find all the happiness you're looking for.

    Also, pick me, choose me, love me is an immortal line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! Yes, I quoted pick me, choose me, love me one post ago. It's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I'll just say this one more time: Have your freaking baby already! You're never going to regret doing it, but there is a good possibility you will regret not doing it. And, as far as not fair to the kid, etc., not many people are mad that they were born. And if you do have a baby and decide it's not for you, I will totally take it! If you seek a deeper connection, you can make your baby be E's half-sibling if you want. I just have to make a few calls and maybe check Craigslist or something. I'm sure I could track down that sperm within the week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and I do not necessarily think ABC was trying to avoid lesbians. I think the world is opening up to even more types of non-traditional families like the one you discussed, friends having babies together, homosexual men trying to talk their heterosexual girl best friends into having their children (or maybe that's just me...).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I chime in with Michelle? I think you would be an awesome mother. And I don't necessarily know a lot about babies, but I am happy to travel and help out right after you have your little one.

    I had a lot of ambivalence about having a child and then was completely taken with my little one as soon as she came out. Of course, this isn't the case with everyone, but just putting my experience out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. totally agree with Michelle, although some days I do wish I could drag my little rug rat to his sperm-pop and say: WTF?

    fine fine ABC loves lesbians.

    anonymous you seem adorable but you were watching grey's way back in high school? sigh. In H.S. I was watching St Elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. thank you. And ahh..St. Elsewhere. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't watch a lot of Mash. But it was a good show, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so now that I stumbled upon your blog (okay, so you put the link in front of my feet so I would be forced to trip on it) I have some catching up to do. Starting with Episode 15 tonight and will work backwards. As expected, it is LOL funny.

    My advice (that you did not ask for) is be careful what you wish for in the baby department. I know my 40-something childless life is not the norm but I am perfectly happy without kids and have no regrets with that decision. On the other hand, I have friends that were scared sh*tless when their biological clock started alarming . Four opted to get pregnant or adopt and of those four, two now regret it. Not in a "I am going to kill my kids or leave them on a doorstep" kind of way but sad that they did not take the child-free road less traveled.

    All that being said, you will likely make a great mom if that is what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the episode featured two of my favorite songs in the grey's anatomy repertoire (back where i was and today will be okay). pretty great songtage! i am working on popularizing the term (although the first attempt at this faced a backlash of "are you fucking kidding me, songtages have existed since the beginning of time!!!"; i sent them the guardian article, don't worry).

    rewatched the "today will be okay" songtage, definitely got me tearing up. really, james?! but ... if love were enough!.... "i just wanted to say..." "i know..." god. okay, fine. apparently shonda knows how to play me.

    regarding the baby plan, i feel obliged to comment on it, but ... i honestly don't have any thoughts in that general arena and wouldn't even know where to begin to comment. but yeah, it would be cool to have a half sibling. and... (okay, i know, not helping) would have to say that i would question the "you're never going to regret it" comment...

    and imagine HOW MANY MORE DATES lawrence dai must go on because he is lawrence of lawrence and julie and julia?!?! man. you should start leveraging your blog empire.

    ReplyDelete
  17. James, you are incredibly passionate about sontages, and I respect that. I don't know much about them, but clearly am learning a bit each episode.

    Sherri-Your point is well made and I know I have more doubts and concerns about doing this than most of my friends do. Why? They all have kids and it worked out great. I'm well aware this does not mean the same would be true for me, and I'm cautious about the whole endeavor as a result.

    Also, I would love to start leveraging my blog empire but do not know how to do it. Does anyone know how to turn a blog into dates? This is knowledge I could really use.

    ReplyDelete